Ever wanted to know which 5 popes were best? We’ve got you covered.
- Erik on royal families and etiquette coaches (0:50)
- Drunk with Blood: Sampson (6:00)
- The papacy (14:25)
- Pope Formosus: the only pope whose body was twice exhumed, twice found guilty in a papal court, and twice dismembered.
- Pope Sergius III: the only pope who, while pope, fathered a child out of wedlock who grew up to be pope.
- Pope Benedict IX: the only pope to hold the papal seat three times in his life, and the only one to sell the papacy.
- Pope Boniface VIII: the pope who fought a financial turf war with France over whose powers were temporal and whose were spiritual.
- Pope Leo X: the pope who reigned during the height of the Catholic church selling indulgences, and had a bunch of his bishops killed.
- The papal schism: the era when there were multiple, simultaneous, disagreeing popes.