In celebration of Darwin Day, we embark on a short series about the theory of biological evolution. Gabe is joined by Dr. Zach to talk about the theory of evolution and natural selection. Dr. Zach is a microbiologist and secular activist in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, and as you can tell from the episode, an entirely pleasant fellow.
- Charles Darwin and Russel Wallace
- Anthropomorphism in science
- Natural selection, sexual selection (you know, breasts and penises), and random disasters
- Adaptation and exaptation
- Common misconceptions about biological evolution, and addressing them
- Genetics and information in biology
It’s worth noting as well by the way, that Dr. Zach also hosts the Apologia podcast, which was very influential on the content of style of NonTheology. They strive to be ecumenical while still hitting at some of the tough issues between theism and atheism, and they do a pretty solid job, so definitely go check them out. Incidentally, Apologia is also the name of a biblical creationist publishing company, producing textbooks and coloring books to “help homeschooling families learn, live, and defend the Christian faith”. Nice.
Other good evolution resources:
Plus, some other notables mentioned:
- The Dallas-Fort Worth Coalition of Reason
- Massimo Pigliucci on the Rationally Speaking podcast
- Dr. Robert Price with his flagship podcast The Bible Geek, and his new show The Human Bible