Gabe is joined by John McCargar to talk about Humanist student groups and chaplains, drawing from his experience founding the Humanists of Boston University (HBU).
Note: this is episode 37-A, which is just the interview itself. You can listen to episode 37-B, which includes additional commentary about the interview if you have the stomach for it. I would recommend you start with A.
The interview structure:
- John’s faith journey from Catholicism, to Mormonism, to militant atheism, to Humanism
- Building intentional communities focused on ethics and Secular Humanism
- Secular Humanism among religious groups
- Growth and decline of secular/humanist student groups, and the relationship of chaplains
- Previous guests on the show, Zachary Bos and Patrick, and their involvement with the HBU
- The cultural background of Humanism
- The role of a chaplain at a university
- Paths to becoming a chaplain, Humanist credentials, and The Humanist Institute
- Current chaplains at Boston University
- Why universities should consider having a Humanist chaplain
- Secular Humanists using the word chaplain