We are joined by Chuck, the host of Irreligiosophy, on the great and spacious podcast to talk about anachronisms in the Book of Mormon, as well as some of the apologetic responses to these criticisms. And what a delightful show it was. Stick around until the end and hear bits of the unofficial pre-show.
Listen to this episode
Here’s what happened:
We lay some groundwork by explaining what an anachronism is, the creation of the Book of Mormon, and the loose translation theory/proposition. Then we discuss the following particular anachronisms:
Horses and other animals
- “And it came to pass that we did find upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, that there were beasts in the forests of every kind, both the cow and the ox, and the ass and the horse, and the goat and the wild goat, and all manner of wild animals, which were for the use of men…” – 1 Nephi 18:25
- Dr. Wade Miller’s response at a FAIR (Mormon apologetics) conference, 2009
Iron and steel
- “And I did teach my people to build buildings, and to work in all manner of wood, and of iron, and of copper, and of brass, and of steel, and of gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance.” – 2 Nephi 5:15
- Apologist’s response to criticism of metallurgy in the Book of Mormon
- Note: as pointed out in the comments (thanks to Rick) “dross” isn’t necessarily from steel, but is the mass of solid impurities left over from refining metals in general.
Coinage and monetary system
The apologist’s response to this claim is actually interesting, and I wish we had discussed it. The apologist says that the Book of Mormon isn’t referring to coins, but rather to a system of weights. I’ll note that the only sources that they cite in support of this claim are either other Mormon apologetics groups or an out-of-print book written in Spanish.
Wheels, axels, chariots
- “Their land also is full of silver and gold, neither is there any end of their treasures; their land is also full of horses, neither is there any end of their chariots.” 2 Nephi 12:7
- Apologist’s response to criticism of chariots in the Book of Mormon