RSS

Episode 42: Bad Objections to Evolution

03 Feb

We once again attempt to digitally celebrate Darwin Day with a few episodes about evolution. Here, we take on some bad and common objections to evolution.

Listen to this episode

What does the show say? This:

• Hello, listeners!
  • Wait, What…? Alan Keyes on the coming (sp?) gay dystopia
  • Evolution can’t happen, because something can’t come from nothing
  • Evolution takes too much time to have been observed, so we can’t know it’s true
  • Ring species (see a cool look at some of these here)
  • Micro evolution is true, but macro evolution is not
  • You never see a Crocoduck
  • Why don’t you see dogs giving birth to cats?
  • If humans came from apes, why are there still so many apes?
  • Darwin was wrong about some aspect of evolution
  • Hitler believed in evolution and used the principles to drive Nazi ideology
  • The human eye is to perfect to have evolved (find your blind spot!)
  • The bacterial flagellum is irreducibly complex and couldn’t have evolved
  • We don’t observe any transitional forms in the fossil record
  • Mutations are always negative, so they can’t be making us better and better
  • Mutations don’t create new information
  • Life is balanced on a razors edge (ex: because of the proportion of oxygen in our atmosphere), it is only rationally attributable to an intelligent creator – Cliffe Knechtle in a debate with Matt Dillahunty at 1:12:30

6 Comments

Posted by on February 3, 2014 in Mailbag, New Episode, Science, Wait What?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 responses to “Episode 42: Bad Objections to Evolution

1. No, my name IS actually Kevin...

February 4, 2014 at 1:18 am

Haha. You guys forgot that evolution violates the second law of thermodynamics! You dudes messed up by not including that one. Which means everything else you said it’s a fallacy.

And now I’m feeling kind of stupid. 40 episodes in and it just occurs to me that Erik’s water park in Ohio over Christmas thing is a joke.

• Facebook-Fanboy Kevin

February 4, 2014 at 3:56 am

I was wondering about that too, but there is a waterpark here in Indiana, right by me, that turns into an ice skating rink in the winter, so it didn’t seemed strange, but possible.

• nontheology

February 5, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Haha, we thought about covering the 2nd law, but we didn’t get there. Maybe that’ll be something we cover in the future. Like I said, we couldn’t give a comprehensive list of all the bad objections. There are just too many!

2. pete

February 18, 2014 at 12:55 pm

My eyes were so bad that I had to get a guy with a laser to reshape my cornea so I could see without lenses.

3. W

May 27, 2014 at 12:11 am

To be fair, I think a dog giving birth to a tomato or an ice cream machine would be less problematic than a dog giving birth to a cat.

Also, what happened to the podcast?! Are you guys not making new episodes? I demand you produce more free media for my enjoyment!

4. Johan

November 12, 2014 at 1:17 am

A claim that isn’t true, but wouldn’t matter even if it was true. There has GOT to be a word for that.